Bad breath or HALITOSIS is a major problem affecting a large group of people in the world. It is the third frequent reason after dental decay and gingivitis for people to seek dental care. Many people are in fact not aware that they are suffering from this problem. Bad breath was found to be one of the reasons for divorce among the community.
There are many intra oral and extra oral reasons for the occurrence of bad breath: Tooth decay , Deposits of food debris over teeth / tongue , Gum disease, Smoking, Chewing tobacco, Alcohol , Sinusitis , Gastric problems , Liver disorders, Kidney disorders , Consuming diet containing garlic and onion , Lung infections, Diabetes , Oral infections , Not cleaning removable dentures , Dry mouth
Treatment and Prevention : It is very important to identify the cause of bad breath. The treatment depends upon the cause of the problem which should be rectified at the earliest
1. Consult your dentist once in 6 months.
2. Undergo a scaling of teeth once in 6 months.
3. Brush your teeth using fluoride toothpaste twice a day.
4. Never forget to clean your tongue with tongue scraper after brushing your teeth.
5. Floss your teeth at least once a day.
6. Use Chlorhexidine / Listerine mouth rinse to freshen your breath.
7. Decayed teeth should be restored to prevent accumulation of food deposits within the
8. Gum disease / periodontal problems should be treated at the earliest to eliminate
9. Treatment should be obtained for systemic problems like diabetes, liver disorders,
kidney disorders, gastric disorders, lung infections and sinusitis so as to eliminate
10.Quit smoking and tobacco to be free of bad breath and to have a healthy oral cavity.
11. Use chewing gum containing xylitol to freshen your breath.
12. Clean your removable dentures daily using denture cleansing brush and tooth paste to remove food particles and bacteria present over it.